A key piece of the Inbound Marketing strategy is landing pages. Your landing page is the final step in converting a website visitor to a lead. This is where the website visitor will decide they either want to give you their information to get the information you are offering, or leave your site. How important is a good landing page you ask? According to HubSpot, a good landing page can convert 50% of its visitors into qualified leads while a poor one will convert less than 1%. Ready to make your landing page top notch? Below are 10 things to keep in mind as you build your landing page.
1. Landing page headlines and copy- The wording in the advertisment and the landing page headline should compliment one another. If they don't and you confuse the visitor, chances are you will loose them.
2. Clear headlines- Since your headline will be one of if not the first thing a visitor will see and read, your landing page headlines should not be confusing or boring, but draw the visitor in and make them want to take a closer look.
3. Correct grammar- Nuthing wil risk the trust a visitor has in u or your site if there are speling erors and bad grammer. If you are asking them to give you their personal information, you have to gain their trust.
4. Include trust indicators- This goes along with #3 above. A good way to build that trust is to include testimonials, security certifications and guarantee seals. Make these prominent so the visitor can see them and feel comfortable with giving you their information.
5. Use a strong call to action- After a visitor reads your landing page headline, it is imperative that they know what they are supposed to do next. A few things to remember about calls to action; they should be valuable, easy to use, prominent and action oriented. One call to action to avoid- 'contact us'.
6. Make your buttons and call to actions stand out- Good words to use include; Free, New, Buy or Download Now. The buttons should be big, brightly colored and not require the visitor to scoll down the page to find it.
7. Don't use a lot of links- Don't require your visitor to click on a bunch of links and be taken elsewhere. This will be both confusing and distracting and has been shown to have a negative impact on converting them to a lead.
8. Incorporate videos and images- If you are able to provide client testimonials and images of your products on your home page, this can lead visitors to want to learn more about your offerings and get them to your landing pages also.
9. Do not go below the fold- Whatever you do, place the call to action button above the fold. If a visitor has to scroll down and search for the button, you are going to lose them.
10. Test, test, test- Have a couple different landing page designs and calls to action you can work with to see which delivers better results.
If you follow these 10 rules when building your landing pages, you will be well on your way. A few of my favorite landing pages are from the following companies: Salesforce, Geico, Groupon, HubSpot and Facebook. If you have a chance, I encourage you to view their sites and see some well done landing pages in action.
For questions on building landing pages, or to see if/how they could benefit you, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.